By Barry Boyce,
|March 19, 1968
|| Rudi Altig (Ger)
|March 30, 1968
||Tour of Flanders
|| Walter Godefroot (Bel)
|April 7, 1968
|| Eddy Merckx (Bel)
|April 28, 1968
|| Valeer Van Sweevelt (Bel)
|April 25-May 12, 1968
||Vuelta a Espana
||Felice Gimondi (Ita)
| May 21-June 12 1968
||Eddy Merckx (Bel)
|June 27-July 21, 1968
||Tour de France
||Jan Janssen (Ned)
|September 1, 1968
|| Vittorio Adorni (Ita)
||Imola, Italy 277.3 km
October 12, 1968
|| Herman Van Springel (Bel)
- January 23, 1968 - North Korea seized the USS Pueblo. North Korea claimed the US naval ship was spying in Korean waters.
- South Africa - Dr. Christian Barnard performed the first successful heart transplant.
- Memphis, Tenn. - April 4, 1968, James Earl Ray assassinated civil rights leader Martin Luther King.
- The French May - massive protests of May 1968 in France. What started as protests by university students set off a mass rebellion that paralyzed Paris and other major cities across France.
- Los Angeles, Calif. - June 5, 1968, Sirhan Sirhan assassinated US Presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy.
- Europe - January 5 , “Prague Spring”, a period of political liberalization, begins in Czechoslovakia. August 20 , the Soviet Union and Warsaw Pact countries invade the streets of Prague, Czechoslovakia.
- Hollywood - the Stanley Kubrick movie: 2001, a Space Odyssey is released.
- Philadelphia - the USA following the 1967 lead of Barclay's Bank of England, the first Automated Teller Machine (ATM) was installed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Notable Deaths -
* Giro d'Italia Champion: Antonio Pesenti (Ita), 1906-1968, Giro Champion in 1932.
* Giro d'Italia Champion: Giuseppi Enrici (Ita), 1894-1968, Giro Champion in 1924.
Jim Clark, 1936-1968, Scottish World Champion Formula 1 race car driver died while racing a Formula 2 race in Hockenheim, Germany.
Duke Kahanamoku, 1890-1968, “The Big Kahuna” was a 1912 Olympic Gold Medallist in swimming. He was considered by most to be the creator of the sport of surfing. Duke was the first person to be inducted into both the Swimming Hall of Fame and Surfing Hall of Fame.
Return to the Timeline ToC
Return to the Race Snippets ToC